Thursday, March 15, 2012

How To Make Cauliflower Rice To Reduce Your Carbs

Do you need to reduce your carb intake, while at the same time have a nutritional and filling meal? This Cauliflower Rice Recipe may be for you.

We do need some carbs for energy, but too much carbs can make you gain unwanted weight, and increase your LDL number. I'm currently finding ways to reduce my carbohydrate intake to help reduce my serum LDL.

One of the things that I found in my search for ways to reduce my carbs is Cauliflower Rice as a rice substitute.

Having been raised in New Orleans, one of my favorite meals is Beans 'n Rice. However, even nutritional brown rice has a relatively high glycemic load of 22. In contrast, raw cauliflower has a glycemic load of just 2.

However, I didn't want to completely give up eating brown rice, so I replace just half the rice with cauliflower rice to reduce my carbohydrate consumption with the expectation of lowering my LDL number.

Cauliflower Rice Recipe

First, this is how you make Cauliflower Rice:

Ingredients

1 cauliflower head
1/4 tsp salt or lite salt - or salt to taste

Cut the cauliflower small enough to fit into your food processor feeding tube. Using the grating disc of your food processor, cut the cauliflower into pieces the size of rice grains. You can cut the cauliflower by hand if you do not have a food processor, but the food processor is easier.

Put the grated cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl with a glass lid. I use a microwave safe casserole dish with a glass lid. Toss the cauliflower with salt to taste. DO NOT ADD WATER!

Cover the dish and place it in the microwave. Microwave the cauliflower on high for 6 minutes. Be careful when you remove the lid off the hot cauliflower, since hot steam will come out. After fluffing with a fork, it is ready to eat.

I mix about 2 cups of the cooked cauliflower rice with 1/4 cups of raw brown rice. This is how I prepare the brown rice for the mixture:

Brown Rice Recipe

Ingredients

1/4 cup raw brown rice
6 chopped crimini mushrooms
1 chopped bell pepper
1 tsp chili powder
Dash ground red pepper (Cayenne)
1/4 tsp chopped garlic
1/4 tsp salt or lite salt - or salt to taste
1/2 cup water

Place all ingredients in a covered pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. If there is still a lot of water in the pot after 30 minutes, uncover and boil down some of the water.

I then mix 2 cups of cauliflower rice with the cooked brown rice. I then cover the rice mixture with cooked black beans, or you can use any bean of your choice. The extra cauliflower rice can be frozen for future use.

This is how I still enjoy my favorite dish of beans with cauliflower and brown rice. I still have an enjoyable and nutritional dish with a lower glycemic load to help improve my overall health and fitness.

Charles

1 comment:

  1. food processor motor is so powerful to work faster, better result, and save time. the website has an huge choice of food processors from the foremost basic, affordable models through to high specification skilled models that do everything from chopping and pealing to mixing and liquidising. Use our handy refinement menu on the left to help create your choice.
    monyong

    ReplyDelete