Friday, April 27, 2012

Build Muscle With Light Weights and More Repetitions

Building muscle with light weights and more repetitions is just as effective as heavier weights and less repetitions.

That is the conclusion of a study conducted by researcher Nicholas Burd, PhD of the Maastricht University Medical Centre in the Netherlands.

This has been my preferred method of strength training as well. I have always felt that I can reduce my risk of injury by using lighter weights with more repetitions. And this study indicates that this method of strength training is good for building muscle around an injury where heavy weights may make the injury worse.

This method of strength training is especially effective for
  1. the frail elderly
  2. an injured athlete
  3. or someone who does not have access to heavier weights
To be as effective as using heavier weights, however, you must keep doing the exercise to the point of exercise-induced fatigue. In other words, the last two repetitions should be very hard to complete.

 So if you don't like using heavy weights, or don't have access to heavy weights, this method of building muscle with light weights and more repetitions is a way for you to improve your muscle fitness levels.

Charles

References:

 WebMd: " High Reps With Low Weights Builds Muscle, Too "

3 comments:

  1. I like this article as I am an avid exerciser who lifts weights and as I get accustomed to a certain weight I progressively increase in small increments. I know that at some point I will not be able to lift heavier and in my mind would have been stagnated. This gives me hope that I can continue building muscle by using lighter weights and going to failure. Please check my website at www.sportsandhealthgossip.info as there may be blogs that may interest you.

    Thanks,
    Marvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. New to muscle building, I find this post so helpful for me. Thank you.


    muscle recovery

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with this post Lighter Weights with More Reps Are Effective for building muscle

    ReplyDelete