Monday, February 20, 2012

My Sardines Recipe

When I was younger, I couldn't understand how my dad could eat sardines. I just couldn't stomach those little critters. But now that I am older, I have developed a taste for these little and nutritional fish.

This is how I eat them.

Sardines Recipe

1 3.75 oz can King Oscar Brisling Sardines Mediterranean Style
1 Town House Italian Herb Flatbread Crisps for each sardine
Mustard - your choice of the type of mustard

I place 1 sardine on a flatbread crisp and top with a dash of mustard. I do this for each sardine in the can. That's it. I eat each sardine crisp one at a time and savor the flavor. I find that these sardines are actually fairly mild. However, it may also be that since I'm older now, my tasting ability may have subdued. But I like this nutritional snack.

Sardines Nutrition

According to Whole Foods, this snack will give you your daily requirements of vitamins B12 and D. In addition, you also get:
  • 87% of Omega-3 fatty acids
  • 78% of tryptophan
  • 45% of excellent quality protein
  • 30% of phosphorus
  • 20% of vitamin B3
  • and 17% of vitamin B2
The back of the can also states that you get
  • 20% of your calcium needs
  • 8% vitamin A
  • and 4% of iron
Sardines are also very low in mercury, and they are not an endangered species. Since the larger fish like tuna are being over fished, the herring (sardine) population is actually increasing in the ocean.

Charles

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! I'm not a big fish eater though, and it is something I really try and force into my diet! So a tasty recipe is definitely what I need!!

    ReplyDelete